Now, we’re moving to the big league! Fancy seats with motors and heated bum sections. Dot will explain:
Our friend Donna wanted her Saab seats reupholstered and asked if I would like to have a go at it. I said I would give it a try and she said she wanted to do it in leather. I thought to myself ..leather..hmmm I have only made two sets of seats both using vinyl. How hard can it be, after all I have my trusted walking foot sewing machine. So I said should be easy after the long bench seats I did.
Well, Dave brought the seats home and I stared in horror at the mechanisms and wires. What have we gotten ourselves into!
______The handbook calls the wire “listing”. I have to remember to sew these pieces of white nylon fabric. This is what attaches the cover to the foam. I will reuse these.
______You need brute strength to unhook the springs. I only cut and sew ..here’s hoping Dave can put these baby together later!
______Like I said, brute strength is a requirement in seat installations.
______Ahh, I guess I take over from here. The driver side seat cover is pretty much destroyed, so Dave had to dismantle the passenger side seat bottom so I could make an accurate template.
Taking apart the seat mechanisms took Dave two hours!
I unpicked the stitching from the old covers and traced the different sections onto paper, pressing the seams down while I traced.
Even so, later on Dave would ask me where is that “s”clip .We are missing one!
The foam is attached to the cover by the listing wire and hog rings and then placed on top of this metal frame. It is then screwed onto the chassis. The cover will then be wrapped around the metal frame edges by plastic retainers that required pushing and tugging and brute strength.
For the back hoe seats, the metal frame had a full metal back instead of a hole like this Saab one. It was a bear to hook the listing to the metal frame for the back hoe.
For the seat back, we only replaced the front part which is shown inside out. We kept the back covers because it looked in good condition – that part with the two holes for the headrest.
Good idea to keep one as a sample.
Trace trace trace…as accurate as possible.
Hey, you calling me a big fat cow??!! I thought you loved me…just kidding.
Yes, holy cow, I have never seen such big hide before!
We decided not to spray glue the leather pieces onto the scrim (foam). We checked the old covers and they were just sewn around the edges and that’s what I did. I roughly cut the foam, sew close to the edges and then trim them.
We suggested that it would look nice to have two tone leather seat covers.
Without this heavy duty walking foot sewing machine it would be impossible to sew double layer foam and leather pieces.
____After I attached the new front covers to the backing (old cover), I had to do a row of top stitching and that was pretty challenging.
Lots of tugging and grunting and pulling to put the covers back onto the seat back.
_________The plastic retainer that attached the cover to the edge of the metal frame is the dark piece near Dave’s hand. We saved this piece from the old covers.
HOPE THE CUSTOMER IS HAPPY WITH HER SEATS!