RSS Feed

Job #1 Chevy C10 bench seat

The C10 truck seat was in very bad shape , so Dot volunteered to re-upholster. It was a lot of work over several weeks.

The Old Seat

The Old Seat

First new section getting marked up

First new section getting marked up

Welding the broken seat frame

Welding the broken seat frame

Sewing the piping with a walking foot machine

Sewing the piping with a walking foot machine

Filling the holes with foam

Filling the holes with foam

Batting cover

Batting cover

Stuffing…

Stuffing…

Putting in the hog rings

Putting in the hog rings

Almost ready

Almost ready

Seat bottom sewed up

Seat bottom sewed up

Alex likes it

Alex likes it

Cleaned out cab, ready for seat

Cleaned out cab, ready for seat

Seat fitting

Seat fitting

Seat bottom in

Seat bottom in

Seat installed

Seat installed

Dot will add some words later to explain what she’s doing here…..

When Alex sat on this bench seat, he tended to slide out of the door! When we took it apart we found out that the spring was broken and half the padding was gone some fat ass must have been sitting on it!

Years ago, I had bought Auto Upholstery Handbook by Don Taylor and so I referred to it to get started. We bought the Walking Foot sewing machine, some vinyl – gray and orange per our son’s request – and 1/2 inch thick scrim or foam, and got going.

Dave sprayed the vinyl and foam using a spray adhesive meant for foam and vinyl and measured and cut, leaving 2 or 3 inches extra for the pleats. It was a learning process throughout. I sewed the gray parts first, then the welting, and then joined the orange part.

We took apart the covers so I could trace the sides of the seat. Sewing the long bench seat was a bit  of a challenge because of the length so Dave had to hold and maneuver it while I sewed and sewed. The sides were pretty curvy to make it fit just right, so don’t throw the pieces, you need that for patterns.

I had to buy a piping foot to sew the piping or the welting on.It was so easy with that foot on!

As you can see, Dave repaired and welded the springs and hog ringed the covers back on. When it was all on, we were pretty amazed at what we had done! Pretty awesome!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: